The Australia-India Council (AIC)
General grants round
Applicants for the AIC General Grants round June 2013 will be advised of the outcomes of their applications this month (September 2013).
The AIC expects to open its next general funding round in 2014.
20th Anniversary of the Australia-India Council
2012 marked the 20th Anniversary of the AIC. To commemorate this significant milestone, the Council celebrated through the support of an exhibition, Kindness/Udarta Australia-India Cultural Exchange and the publication, Kindness/Udarta which provides a tangible record of 20 years of the AIC-supported cultural exchange program.
Australian Studies Fellowships
The Australian Studies Fellowships program is currently under review. No fellowships will be offered in 2013-14. The AIC expects to announce the details of a new Australian Studies program in late 2014.
Dr Rupakjyoti Borah (Senior Fellow), School of Liberal Studies, Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University
Research topic: Australia-India strategic convergence in the Indian Ocean region: Vision 2020
Dr Gundre Jayachandra Reddy (Senior Fellow), Centre for Southeast Asian and Pacific Studies, Sri Venkateswara University
Research topic: Energy Security and Environmental Sustainability in Australia: Lessons for India
Mr Sibendu Chakraborty (Junior Fellow), Doctoral Research Scholar, Department of English, University of Calcutta
Research Topic: Australian Aboriginal Theatre: Discourse of Protest and Nationalism against a Multicultural Backdrop in Jack Davis's Plays
Ms Debamita Banerjee (Junior Fellow), Bengal Law College
Research Topic: 'Threatened Waterways': Environmental Governance and Strategic Development Policy in Botany Bay Region ( NSW ) and Gangetic Delta (especially, River Hoogli around Calcutta)
Dr Jayanta Kumar Saha (Senior Fellow), Department of Law, University of Burdwan
Research topic: Curriculum Development: Re-defining Australian studies in law, media and human rights in Indian universities
Ms Arpita Banerjee (Junior Fellow), Department of English, University of Calcutta
Research topic: Indigenous Australian studies and gender studies
Dr Smita Patil (Junior Fellow), School of Gender and Development Studies, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
Research topic: Politics of race, caste and gender: exploring the social spaces of indigenous women in Australia and dalit women in India
Australia–India Council Young Media Fellowships
The successful applicants for the 2013-14 Young Media Fellowships are listed below.
The Fellowships provide career development opportunities for young Indian print and television journalists. The Fellowships encourage the development of networks between Indian and Australian journalists and media organisations, and expose young Indian journalists to Australia.
- Ms Swati Mathur, The Time of India
- Research Topic: Breaching barriers: Lessons from Australia on operating efficient agriculture markets.
- Ms Nistula Hebbar, The Economic Times
- Research Topic: Multiculturalism: Blending in and standing out.
- Mr Sheikh Zafar Iqbal, NDTV 14x7
- Research Topic: Australia and India Bonding Together.
- Ms Rashi Tiwary, The Hindi, Hyderabad
- Research Topic: Exploring higher education in Australia.
- Ms Samhita Chakraborty, The Telegraph, ABP Pvt Ltd
- Research Topic: Tales of Tucker: Australia's Culinary Culture
- Mr Subhabrata Guha, Times of India
- Research Topic: Dry Nations: Water policy as a strategic geo-political intervention between India and Australia
- Mr Rishi Suri, The Daily Milap, New Delhi
- Research project: Australia and India – partners into the future
- Mr Nikhil Hemrajani, The Hindustan Times, Mumbai
- Research project: Bridges of Music – exploring Australia's music industry
- Ms Mausami Singh, IBN 7 Network 18, New Delhi
- Research project: Indian Aussies Down Under
The Understanding Australia website offers international students, visitors and backpackers information about the continent and its people.
Australian Arts in Asia Awards
The Australian Arts in Asia Awards were announced by former Arts Minister Tony Burke on 1 August 2013. Thirty of the Awards finalists participated in Oz Fest – the largest Australian cultural festival ever staged in India. These Award winners included:
- Annalouise Paul from the Theatre of Rhythm & Dance for 'Game On' – Interface Festival, India
- Asialink for The Bookwallah 2012
- Snuff Puppets People's Puppet Project workshop
- Museum Victoria PLACE-Hampi
The Awards recognise the contribution Australian artists and arts organisations make to strengthening ties with Asia. More information can be found at:
- Telephone: +61 2 6261 3833
- Facsimile: +61 2 6112 3833
PO Box 5363 Kingston ACT 2604
- Telephone: 4139 9918
C/- Australian High Commission
1/50 G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi – 110 021